How To Start Your Florida Divorce Lawyer Decision Process
If you are looking for a legal professional to guide you through a divorce and you haven’t worked with a family lawyer before, you may be unsure how to start the process. Taking steps to connect with an attorney you can trust is essential, and getting started as soon as possible could result in you having more options moving forward.
Choosing the right Tampa family lawyer for you will depend on a variety of factors. After all, you want legal representation who has experience working on cases similar to your own and has the skills required to make your desired outcomes a reality.
Starting the Selection Process
Sometimes a person meets with one attorney and knows right away that they have connected with the right professional for their case. Others find they prefer talking to a few different lawyers and comparing the answers received before landing on a final decision on who to hire. To start your divorce lawyer search, keep the following in mind.
- Have a list of questions. It is common for individuals to meet with an attorney and realize later they forgot to have one of their concerns addressed. When you bring a list to each meeting, you can be sure all of your questions are answered. And if you are meeting with more than one attorney, you can compare responses.
- Ask about alternative resolution possibilities. One of the questions you could ask is if arbitration or mediation is an option given the details of your case. Alternative resolutions will take less time and not cost as much as litigation.
- Think about the future. Share with legal professionals your desired outcomes. When a lawyer knows what your top priority is, whether that is keeping the marital home or securing a particular custody arrangement, they can strategize a path to obtaining that outcome.
As you interview legal professionals, you will likely learn more about necessary documentation and best practices. Take notes so you will remember tips you gather throughout the process.
Your list of questions will be specific to your situation, but you may want to include one or more of the following:
- Have you been practicing family law in the Tampa area for a long time?
- Are there past cases that you have been successful in that are similar to mine?
- What steps do I need to take now to protect my financial future later?
Naturally, if you are a parent, you will likely have detailed questions about custody and child support payments as well. A Tampa family lawyer can address your inquiries.
Are you ready to start interviewing divorce attorneys? Reach out and connect with the experienced attorneys at Blair H. Chan, III. Our attorneys are happy to answer any questions you have and can advise you on what next steps need to be taken, whether you are sure you are going to divorce or want paperwork drafted to secure your financial future during a separation period. To get started, call 813-280-5301 to schedule an initial consultation.