Skip to main content

Exit WCAG Theme

Switch to Non-ADA Website

Accessibility Options

Select Text Sizes

Select Text Color

Website Accessibility Information Close Options
Close Menu

Child Support Modification Lawyer

Our Family Law Attorneys Help Parents Modify Child Support Orders

When one parent has primary custody of a child, the child’s other parent is often responsible for making child support payments. These payments are intended to give the child or children the same quality of life they would experience if their parents were living together. Child support awards are part of divorce proceedings. Judges also grant child support to single parents who were never married to the child’s other parent.

Our firm helps parents modify child support orders and agreements as circumstances change.

Child support awards and agreements are based on the circumstances of the parents at the time of the proceedings and the foreseeable needs of the child or children. Changes in the lives of either parent or in the needs of the child may necessitate revisiting the amount of support awarded to account for life changes. If you find that your circumstances have changed such as a loss of a job then contact one of our Tampa child support modification lawyers that services clients in the greater Tampa Bay area including Pinellas County, Pasco County and Hillsborough County.

Understanding how a support order is modified in Florida

Often, the need to change a child support order is obvious. Unfortunately, this process is not always a simple one. It varies by state. In some states, judges will approve modified plans when both parents agree. In other states, such as Florida, a more formal court proceeding is required. Our child support attorneys help parents create a new plan. When parents do not agree, we represent you in court to get a support order changed.

Reasons for modifying a support order

The desire or need to change a support order is often based on the changing circumstances of one of the child’s parents. In other cases, it is based on a child’s changing needs. Some of the many common reasons why parents seek to have the amount of support increased or reduced include:

  • Loss of a job or source of income
  • Increased income or inheritance
  • Incarceration of a parent
  • A need to support other children
  • Marriage
  • Disability of a parent
  • New educational expenses
  • Additional expenses for activities such as sports

Our child support lawyers have experience helping Tampa parents successfully get their child support orders modified for a wide variety of reasons.

You need to go through the courts to make changes!

Financial problems or the changing needs of your children may alter your circumstances. Still, you must continue to pay child support at the current level until the court modifies your order. Sometimes parents believe that they can decide on their own to decrease or stop child support payments. This is almost never true. In reality, failing to follow a child support order can lead to fines or even imprisonment. Our child support modification attorneys help you petition expeditiously for a modification to avoid undue hardship.

Even in the case of a drastic and obvious change such as being arrested and jailed, you cannot stop making your child support payments without the permission of a judge. While you are in jail, all of those payments will keep adding up and you may never be able to have the debt discharged. If you cannot make your payments for any reason, you need to speak with our experienced attorneys right away.

Enforcing child support agreements

If your spouse has fallen behind on child support payments, you may need assistance to collect the money that rightfully belongs to your child. At Blair H. Chan, III, we guide you through the process of enforcing your child support order.

Contact our experienced Tampa Child Support Modification Lawyers

Call Blair H. Chan, III at 813-202-7831 or contact us online to schedule a consultation with a family law attorney in Tampa, Florida. Our clients from the greater Tampa Bay area including St. Petersburg, Clearwater, and Plant City as well as Pasco County, Pinellas County and Hillsborough County.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn

Please fill out the quick contact form below for a fast case consultation. We will contact you within 24 hours!

By submitting this form I acknowledge that form submissions via this website do not create an attorney-client relationship, and any information I send is not protected by attorney-client privilege.

Skip footer and go back to main navigation