Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu

Failing To Make Court-Ordered Support Payments


When parents divorce, it is common for a non-custodial parent to be ordered to make support payments. Florida court ordered payment amounts will depend on a few different factors, but the main component is the income and resources of the parents. If you were ordered to pay child support and you stop paying, you could face severe consequences. This is true even if you had a large shift in your financial situation.

Whether you are a Florida custodial parent who has not been receiving child support payments or you are obligated to pay child support but want to have the amount owed paused or reduced, legal support is available. A Tampa family lawyer can share with you what choices you have once they are familiar with your situation.

Costs of Raising Children

If you have been ordered to pay child support in the state of Florida, you do not have a say in how that money is spent. The money can be used to cover the costs of child raising in the way the custodial parent chooses. Payments could be used for rent, mortgage payments, school tuition, child care, clothing, food, and more.

Not paying child support can lead to a contempt of court charge and could lead to jail time. A range of consequences are possible. When payments can’t be made, if circumstances are no longer the same and a person is unable to make their payments, a modification to the existing child support order needs to be filed. Following the process is important, avoiding the necessary legal channels and stopping payments will not be helpful.

Actions for Custodial Parent Not Receiving Payments

Parents who want to take action against a parent who has failed to provide support can connect with a Tampa family lawyer. Filing for a case hearing may be a solution. A hearing office, not a judge, will review the case and prepare recommendations for a judge who will release a ruling. There could even be a resolution prior to court. Your lawyer could inform your ex-spouse of the plan to take legal action, which could be the force needed for a non-custodial parent to resume payments.

Securing support is possible wherever the non-custodial parent resides. Some move out of state, mistakenly believing they will no longer be responsible for the financial aspects of their child’s upbringing. But there are federal protections in place when it comes to child support. Because of the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act, wherever a person lives in the United States they are responsible for the child support payments in the state in which the order was entered.

Are you unable to afford the child support payments you are obligated to make each month? There may be a way to have your payment obligation paused or the amount reduced, talk through your legal options with the lawyers at Blair H. Chan, III. Financial struggles after a divorce is not rare, and there are steps to take to improve your situation. To schedule your initial consultation, call 813-202-7831.

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn